Studio XX’s residencies offer artists opportunities to experiment and create a new work (e.g. digital art, installation or performance). For a period of six weeks, resident artists have access to a private work station within a shared work area. Residents receive an artist fee, and enjoy free access to Studio XX equipment and workshops. The works produced during the residencies are presented to the public.
Application deadline: October 15th of each year
Studio XX offers a supportive environment for artists to exchange, define and explore creative work based on their own process and preoccupations. Artists can use the residency to develop an entirely new project or to expand a previous project.
- artists self-identifying as women, trans, and gender diverse;
- to be engaged in a digital, sound-based, or new media practice;
- works that can be explored or produced with the resources available at Studio XX (equipment, spatial and financial resources).
- artistic merit of the project;
- innovative use of media (web art, video or sound art, installation, performance, or post-internet art);
- the residency must represent an important point in the artist’s career in media arts;
- Studio XX’s mandate for experimentation and creativity must be reflected in the proposal;
- the work selected must demonstrate a relevant and innovative expression of theoretical, political and/or social engagement.
Terms of the Residency
- residencies are six weeks in length;
- an artist’s fee based on CARCC/CARFAC;
- a production budget is available to purchase materials or for hiring specialized technicians or programmers;
- access to a private work station within a shared work area*;
- access to Studio XX’s equipment;
- free access to certain workshops;
- diffusion of the project through the Studio’s programming and platforms: events, XX Files radio show, on-line Matricules archives, and social media;
- residencies DO NOT include travel costs, accommodation, or per diem;
- non-local artists are responsible for their living arrangements while in Montreal;
- Studio XX can provide letters of support for artists whose project is selected (e.g. for a travel or production grant).
* The artist has a dedicated workstation, but the work space is in a shared gallery / office.
Studio XX team meets with each selected artist in order to develop the production schedule of the project.
- applications can be individual or collective;
- applications can be submitted in French or English;
- submissions are reviewed by a Selection Committee.
Projects should be submitted by email only and must include the following information in a PDF document:
- complete application form (Studio XX’s mandate must be reflected in the proposal);
- curriculum vitae;
- audiovisual support material of the applicant’s work (up to 10 images; up to 5 video or audio excerpts of 3 minutes or less (via url links).
Send the completed PDF document to: programmation(at)studioxx.org
Subject line: Artist Residency
Deadline for submission: October 15th of each year
* Please note that incomplete submissions or received after the deadline will not be considered.
Applicants will get a confirmation of receipt. Studio XX will notify selected participants within 3 months following the submission deadline.