Studio XX’s residencies offer artists opportunities to experiment and create a new work (e.g. digital art, installation or performance). For a period of six weeks, resident artists have access to a private work station within a shared work area. Residents receive an artist fee, and enjoy free access to Studio XX equipment and workshops. The works produced during the residencies are presented to the public.
Application deadline: TBA
Studio XX offers a supportive environment for artists to exchange, define and explore creative work based on their own process and preoccupations. Artists can use the residency to develop an entirely new project or to expand a previous project.
- artists self-identifying as women, trans, and gender diverse;
- to be engaged in a digital, sound-based, or new media practice;
- works that can be explored or produced with the resources available at Studio XX (equipment, spatial and financial resources).
- artistic merit of the project;
- innovative use of media (web art, video or sound art, installation, performance, or post-internet art);
- the residency must represent an important point in the artist’s career in media arts;
- Studio XX’s mandate for experimentation and creativity must be reflected in the proposal;
- the work selected must demonstrate a relevant and innovative expression of theoretical, political and/or social engagement.
TERMS OF THE RESIDENCY
- residencies are six weeks in length;
- an artist’s fee based on CARCC/CARFAC;
- access to a private work station within a shared work area*;
- access to Studio XX’s equipment;
- free access to certain workshops;
- diffusion of the project through the Studio’s programming and platforms: events, XX Files radio show, on-line Matricules archives, and social media;
- residencies DO NOT include travel costs, accommodation, or per diem;
- non-local artists are responsible for their living arrangements while in Montreal;
- Studio XX can provide letters of support for artists whose project is selected (e.g. for a travel or production grant).
* The artist has a dedicated workstation, but the work space is in a shared gallery / office.
Studio XX team meets with each selected artist in order to develop the production schedule of the project.
- applications can be individual or collective;
- applications can be submitted in French or English;
- submissions are reviewed by a Selection Committee.
SUBMISSIONS GUIDELINES: REQUIRED INFORMATION
1. Personal information
- Name, email, city of residency, phone, website.
- Short biography (100 words max.):
2. Project Description
- Project title
- Type of media project
- Project summary (100 words max.)
- How is your project related to Studio XX’s mandate? (100 words max.)
- At what stage is your project at the moment? (e.g. initial-research phase, production, post-production, expansion of a previous project, etc)
- Project description (500 words max.)
- Provide a timeline of the work to be accomplished over the six (6) week period
- Technical description (materials and technical equipment needed to produce your work)
- Type of environment required (area size; open/closed space, public space/gallery space) * *Please familiarize yourself with Studio XX’s floor plan and keep in mind that the space is NOT suited for dance projects and/or sound projects that require an insulated space).
- Special assistance needs (e.g. support from a technician or programmer)
- Funding (If applicable, please indicate if you have access to funding for your project.)
3. Supporting documents
- Images, audio and/or video files of proposed project as well as recent works: up to 10 images, up to 5 video or audio excerpts of 3‐minutes or less (via url links). Please provide password(s), if applicable.
- Description of the material, including: title, location (venue, city, country), year.
Please provide the required information in a PDF file (max. file size 5 MB) and send to firstname.lastname@example.org
Subject line: Artist in residency 2018‐2019
Deadline for submission: TBA
All applicants will receive a confirmation of receipt. Selected participants will be notified in December 2017.
For questions and further inquiries, please contact : email@example.com. Thank you for your interest in Studio XX!
Please note that Studio XX’s selection committee has a limited amount of time to review each submission. Ensure that your application is complete. Present your information in a clear and organized manner.