JOB OFFER: GENERAL COORDINATOR
Studio XX is looking for a new General Coordinator for January 8, 2018.
Deadline to apply: October 16, 2017 at 5 pm.
The General Coordinator is responsible for planning and implementing all the procedures and policies in order to ensure the proper functioning and development of the organization.
They will participate, as much as possible, in all committees of the organization (programming, web/communications, education, finance/fixed assets, philanthropy/development), with the exception of the human resources committee.
- Ensure that Studio XX’s mandate is fully respected in its programming activities, communications strategies, networking activities and partnerships (ensure the overall implementation of the director plan);
- Coordinate the strategic planning of the organization, in close collaboration with the team members and the Board of Directors;
- Plan and coordinate administrative and budgetary tasks: provide support to the accountant with respect to Studio XX’s general budget and bank deposits; administer the funds of the organization in light of the approved budget; ensure that the organization complies with all relevant tax laws; etc.;
- Organize team meetings;
- Coordinate the Annual General Meeting (preparation of necessary documents: agenda, election procedure, annual reports, etc.), in collaboration with the team members and the Board of Directors;
- Keep abreast of changes in cultural policies at different levels (federal, provincial, municipal) and in relation to the relevant artistic disciplines.
Funding and partnerships
- Write grant submissions and research additional funding opportunities for Studio XX’s programming activities (production, diffusion and education) related to decisions made by the Programming Committee and the Board of Directors of Studio XX, in collaboration with the Programming Coordinator and the Cultural Mediation, Archives and Network Coordinator;
- Assist the Communications and Community Relations Coordinator and the Programming Coordinator in researching and coordinating partnerships with public and private institutions, cultural and artistic organizations and other partners;
- Prepare and track budgets for grants as well as for all Studio XX projects and activities (including final reports) in collaboration with team members and especially with the accountant;
- Direct financial planning and budgeting with the accountant, and the Treasurer of the Board of Directors (approximately four (4) times a year);
- Prepare annual financial reports with the Auditor, and arrange meetings with the Executive of the Board of Directors to review and sign these financial statements.
Support to the coordination of the Programming Committee
- Assist in the preparation of calls for projects following decisions made by the Programming Committee, in collaboration with the Programming Coordinator;
- Monitor the programming budget, in collaboration with the Accountant and the Programming Coordinator.
- Coordinate meetings with the Finance Committee and the Fundraising Committee (plan meetings, write agendas and take minutes);
- Every employee, in collaboration with all the members of the team, is responsible for translating all of Studio XX’s written material when necessary (newsletters, press releases, posts on social media, administrative documents for internal use, some grants, etc.);
- Along with all Studio XX’s coordinators, the employee represents Studio XX at events and activities and to art and cultural groups and associations.
- A strong and broad knowledge of the complexity of feminisms;
- An understanding and strong interest in the field of digital/technological arts;
- Experience in team coordination and feminist organization;
- Vision, sense of responsibility, initiative, autonomy, diplomacy;
- Ability to maintain an overview in the implementation of the organization’s overall action plan;
- Funding experience (including grant writing);
- Ability to analyze and synthesize, good sense of prioritization;
- Financial management experience;
- Excellent communicator and capable of working collaboratively with a team (horizontal organization);
- Must be flexible, organized, with good listening skills;
- Good knowledge of written and verbal communication in French; English/French bilingualism an asset;
The Studio is organized in a non-hierarchical way; the team works according to feminist values and principles of diversity, openness and collaboration. We would like to point out that the post of general coordination is not a position of general management and that the majority of decisions are taken as a team.
Studio XX values the contributions that individuals who identify as members of marginalized communities bring to our organization. We encourage the following people, among others, to apply: Indigenous people, racialized people, disabled people, people identifying as LGBTQ+, people who identify as women. Do not hesitate to mention it in your cover letter.
Salary: $20/h. 32h/week. It is sometimes necessary to be available in the evenings and on weekends in the context of vernissages, performances and committee meetings.
Please send your resume along with a letter of intent outlining your relevant experience for the position to dev[at]studioxx.org before October 16, 2017 at 5pm. (References can be asked if necessary).
We thank everyone in advance for submitting an application. However, only the candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Interview: between October 30 and November 10, 2017.
Start date: January 8, 2018.
*** Please note that the successful candidate will need to be available for a few days during the months of November and December for an orientation with the current General Coordinator.
Founded in 1996, Studio XX is a bilingual feminist artist-run centre that supports technological experimentation, creation and critical reflection in media arts. XX assists in the independent production and diffusion of art created by artists who identify as women, queer, trans, and gender fluid in the field of contemporary technological practices. Demystifying, providing access, equipping, questioning and creating, these are the aims of Studio XX. The centre actively participates in the development of a digital democracy that encourages autonomy and collaboration.
The Studio is a space specifically dedicated to the feminist practices of a community of critical and committed artists, who are marginalized within the digital arts (and in society). XX contributes to the redistribution of power and expression between genders by defending an inclusive feminist position and by denouncing the persistence of gender disparities. The Studio supports projects from individuals and communities who use and design more accessible technologies, from artists who experiment with recycled materials and free software, from those who work with post-internet practices, and from people who define the Do-It-Yourself and Do-It-Together ethics.
Studio XX supports feminist artist communities in three ways: the production of artworks in digital art through artists’ residencies by providing space, equipment and specialized resources; the dissemination through the presentation and promotion of artistic works; training through workshops and activities.