Instructor : Chantal Dumas
Tuesdays from 5:30 PM to 9:30 PM, October 6st to 20st, 2015
Deadline for registration: September 29th
3 weeks (12 hours)
$ 100 (tax included)
Digital Audio: Creation and Production is an introduction to the different aspects of creating digital audio content. In collaboration with the XXFiles – a weekly radio show on CKUT 90.3FM – this workshop will introduce participants to a number of tools, including open-source software, to create audio art and soundscapes. Participants will create their own audio art projects, each step in audio production will be covered: recording, editing, mixing; as well as learning to work with different playback formats and plug-ins.
Course 1: Introduction to free softwares and sound recording
- Introduction to softwares and various functions.
- Introduction to the H4 Zoom mobile recorder
- Technical aspects of recording; theoretical and practical notions
- Recording session and discussion
Course 2: Organizing a recording session, editing and presenting
- Exploration of software
- Recording formats
- Structuring a work session
- Learning various editing functions
- Sound effects
- Online samples and sound banks
- Practice inserting different elements into a session.
- Edit audio tracks.
- Experiment with effects.
Course 3: Mixing and broadcasting formats
- The production line: from capture to distribution
- How to approach mixing
- Mixing control
- Tools for a good mix
- Various formats for distribution
- Listen to productions
- Discussion and feedback
This course will be taught in French by a bilingual teacher.
This course is for intermediate students (minimum 8 participants).
Price will be adjusted if this minimum is not reached.